Keith 2 v Formartine Utd 3


Keith hadn’t beaten high flying Formartine for over six years, but by jove they gave their all in this Kynoch Park tussle, where, with Lady Luck perhaps smiling even just a wee bit, they might have ended that losing run.

Deservedly leading at half-time, they were hit by two quick fire second half goals, then a third goal which would have seen the team of last season capitulate. However, a late Cammy Keith counter set up a grandstand finish which failed to glean even a warranted share of the spoils.

The Maroons set out their stall in the early stages, taking the game bravely to the big spending Pitmedden outfit, making all the running in the opening minutes. Seven minutes on the clock and Kevin Main was forced to brilliantly deny Cammy Keith with his feet after a neat Michael Selfridge cut back. Ryan Keir should have done better a couple of minutes later, firing straight at the 'keeper, then a quick Keith turn and shot was well held by the goalie.

It was no real surprise with 21 minutes gone that the homesters edged ahead. A brilliant Max Berton cutback was pounced on by Stewart Hutcheon who jubilantly sent a flashing shot into the roof of the net for only his second goal in 205 appearances.

The foot seemed to be taken off the pedal somewhat after that, and the visitors' Archie MacPhee saw his powerful drive well blocked by Greg Simpson on the half hour mark, and in the ensuing scramble the ball hit the foot of the post, the danger eventually being cleared.

The home cause was hit somewhat with Andy Smith having to limp off in the 41st minute, as he had been influential in the middle of the park.

Formartine came out with more intent after the break and Andrew Greig rattled the post with a 16 yarder 5 minutes in. Then a MacPhee 20 yard free kick crashed back off the underside of the crossbar. At the other end a Cammy Keith rising drive flew inches past the post. The striker then produced a neat turn and shot which Main dived to hold.

The double introduction of Kieran Lawrence and Conor Gethins added more firepower to the visitors, and this heralded a two goals in three minutes flurry. First, the home defence got in a bit of a fankle and the end product was a spot kick which Greig duly rapped under the diving Simpson. They got their noses in front when the home rearguard failed to clear and Garry Wood pounced to slam home from 15 yards.

it looked to be all over bar the shouting with eight minutes remaining when the visitors broke quickly, and Wood raced in to blast past Simpson from 16 yards.

The Maroons weren't finished yet though and with a couple of minutes of normal time remaining Cammy Keith slammed home his 9th goal of the season to set up a nail-biting finale.

Still battling bravely to the final whistle, the Maroons finished the match with ten men with Selfridge limping off, the homesters having used all three substitutes.

KEITH - Simpson, Hutcheon (Macaskill 84), Spink, Rae, Robertson, Smith (Manson 44), Keir (Barron 67), Brownie, Keith, Berton, Selfridge. Subs unused - Cowie, Gray, Young, Stewart.

Referee - Mr S Leslie

Saturday 6th October 2018, KO 3pm
Report by Charlie Simpson

Julie Brown