Rothes 2 v Keith 0


Two converted spot kicks against them brought the curtain down on Keith's 2018-19 season at MacKessack Park last Saturday. For the most part, the game had a distinct end of season feel to it, and if truth be known there was really little between the sides. The Speysiders had three penalty awards, but Maroons custodian Greg Simpson saved the first one in the first half.

Maroons manager Dean Donaldson, in his first full season as gaffer, handed young Kian McCredie his first team debut in place of the suspended Macaulay Rae, and at the tender age of 16 years 68 days, became one of the youngest players ever to make a senior Keith appearance.

There was little of note on a bobbly, fiery pitch until the 25th minute when McCredie tripped Alan Kerr inside the area. However, Simpson pulled off a fine save to deny Gary Kerr with his legs from the spot kick.

The opening 20 minutes of the second half saw Keith in the ascendancy and had four decent chances to open the scoring. Callum Porteous saw his shot cleared off the line, then Cammy Keith,  marking his 300th appearance for the Maroons, twice went close before a glancing Jamie McAllister header was inches off target.

Two further penalties in the space of ten minutes sank the Maroons.  First, Andy Smith inexplicably scythed Alasdair Stark down inside the edge of the box, and Dale Wood sent Simpson the wrong way.  Then young McCredie clipped Gary Kerr inside the area, and Wood repeated the dose.

A disappointing end to the season, but there has been a marked improvement overall, as the Maroons finished two places higher than the previous season, with 21 more points, more goals scored and far less goals conceded. From being one of the unfittest teams in the league wnen Donaldson took over, the fitness level has seen them stand stead againt the best in the league.

KEITH - Simpson, Young, Smith (Berton 77), McAllister, McCredie, Robertson, Macaskill( Spink 42), Brownie, Keith, Porteous (Gray 62), Selfridge.  subs unused - Begg, Hutcheon, Lennox, Dey.

Saturday 20th April 2019, KO 3pm
Report by Charlie Simpson

Referee - Mr P McAvinue

Julie Brown