Keith 1 v Deveronvale 2


A decidely off colour Keith side fell by the odd goal in three in what was their 148th league tussle with Deveronvale.  Their 11 goal haul the previous week seemed a world away as they struggled to make any real impact against a side one place above them in the league table.

There was little between the sides in the opening stages with little to shout about. Then, with 25 minutes on the clock, the game sparked to life with two goal opportunities. First, the home rearguard got in a fankle, and somehow Matthew Wallace couldn't quite ram the ball over the line. The hefty clearance was latched onto by Cammy Keith who spotted 'Vale custodian Robbie Mutch off his line, but the striker's lob landed just over the bar with the empty net beckoning.

Both sides had shots on target after that, but the first half remained goal-less. Thirteen minutes after the break, the deadlock was broken when Colin Charlesworth headed goalwards and the unfortunate Macaulay Rae hoofed the ball into his own net.

It was level pegging with 73 minutes played when a goalmouth melee ended with Cammy Keith forcing the ball home for his 25th goal of the season. Despite protestations from the visiting defence, the stand side assistant referee was in line with play to flag that the ball had indeed crossed the line.

A minute later Craig Macaskill's 18 yard rasper cracked off the foot of the post as the Maroons sought to take advantage. However, within a minute the Banffers nabbed the winner thanks to a blistering drive from Wallace that gave Greg Simpson no chance.

Four minutes later Simpson kept his side's hopes alive when beat away another Wallace drive, whilst in the final minute Mutch was on the spot to hold Callum Porteous' well struck 18 yarder.

KEITH - Simpson, Hutcheon (Porteous 78), Smith, Rae, Robertson, Brownie, Young, Begg (McAllister 58), Keith, Berton (Macaskill 58), Selfridge.  subs unused - Gray, Lennox, Stewart.

Referee - F Mazzoni

Saturday 30th March 2019, KO 3pm
Report by Charlie Simpson

Julie Brown