Forres Mechanics 2 v Keith 1


This was aways going to be a tough game for Keith as Forres had only lost two home league  games at home, and were sitting high in the league table. However, as it turned out the Maroons gave them a run for their money and only lost by the odd goal in the three, the Can Cans elevating to fourth spot with the victory.

Both goalies served with distinction, especially in the first half, but sadly it was a Greg Simpson error that paved the way to the opening goal. The game was also notable from a Keith point of view, for the late consolation goal being nabbed by 17 year old Scott Gray.

Opening exchanges were even, but Stuart Knight, who was voted Man of the Match, denied Michael Selfridge and Wayne Barron in quick succession. At the other end, Simpson thwarted Allan McPhee with a fine stop.

It was Knight to the rescue for the Can Cans again in the 36th minute, brilliantly tipping over James Brownie's superb curling 20 yarder.  Three minutes later the woodwork saved the Maroons, McPhee's low shot hitting the foot of the post, Simpson quickly darting to grasp the loose ball.

A goal-less, but entertaining first half, finely set up a second period that opened with a bang.  Within four minutes, Marc"Trigger" Young scraped the top of the Forres bar with a curling 20 yarder.  Right away at the other end of the Mosset, Simpson inexplicably fired a clearance straight at Andy MacRae, who had the foresight and aim to punish the goalie well out of his area, by lobbing the ball into the empty net from 25 yards.

This didn't deter Deano's troops, and they kept plugging away.  They should have levelled on the hour mark when fine play from Barron saw him cut the ball inside to Selfridge who squandered the chance right in front of goals.

Apart from the goal, there really wasn't much between the sides, and Knight came to the rescue again with 73 minutes gone, sticking out his foot to keep out Brownie's low 12 yarder.

However, a quick fire move three minutes later wrapped up the home win, Aidan Wilson whipping over a left wing cross for MacRae to nip in and slam home his 12th goal of the season from six yards.

The Maroons grabbed a small crumb of comfort at the very last gasp, young Scott Gray grabbing his first senior goal, ramming the ball home amidst a right close range goalmouth melee.

A disappointing outcome with the Maroons not playing badly, but really they need to start converting the chances that they creat.

KEITH - Simpson, Hutcheon(Macaskill 66), Smith, Rae, Robertson(Gray 77) Manson, Brownie, Young, Keith, Barron, Selfridge.  Subs unused - Lennox, Stewart.

Referee - Mr M Northcroft.

Saturday 24th November 2018, KO 3pm
Report by Charlie Simpson

Julie Brown