Fraserburgh 4 v Keith 2


(Match abandoned 76th minute)

The atrocious windy, rainy conditions was the real winner in this tussle at Bellslea Park, the referee really having no option but call a halt to proceedings with 76 minutes played, title challengers Fraserburgh leading 4-2 at the time.

Both sets of players must have been chilled to the bone, as were the hardy spectators who turned up to watch the teams give their all in horrible conditions.

Both managers were in agreement of the match going ahead, following pre-match discussion with the referee Mr Liam Duncan.  He also spoke to both camps during the second half, before pulling the plug, as the wind and rain grew stronger.  Latterly, Keith goalie Greg Simpson's kick outs were flying back over his head and out of play for 'Broch corners.

The Maroons elected to play with the fierce, chilly wind at their backs in the first half, and they opened the scoring in the 18th minute when a Marc Young cross was swept home by Michael Selfridge from eight yards.  'Broch goalie Paul Leask had to look lively six minutes later to tip rpund another swerving Young cross.

It was all square with 28 minutes played, home top scorer Scott Barbour whipping home a low drive from the right side of the penalty area.  A bullet header from Selfridge off a Stewart Hutcheon cross whizzed past the post on the half hour. Then Craig Macaskill turned quickly insdie the box to fire goalwards, but the 'keeper was right on the spot.

The visitors edged ahead again with 38 minutes on the clock, wee Macaskill keeping a cool head to clip the ball beyond the outrushing goalie from 10 yards.

The welcome sound of the referee's peeper signalling half-time was as good as it gets in these conditions, a grand cup of tea and a Cullen Skink Pie, yes that's right, being the best medicine for clearing up a dreepy nose!

'Broch harnessed the wind better than the visitors at the turn of the second half, and they levelled within six minutes, Aidan Combe rattling home a spot kick after Hutcheon was adjudged Sargent inside the area.

As the wind got fiercer so the Maroons found it increasingly difficult to get out of their own half. 'Broch took the lead for the first time in the 57th minute, a wind assisted 25 yard rocket from Sean Butcher flying into the roof of the net.

There was no coming back for Keith in the 66th minute, when 'Broch nabbed another wind aided goal.  This time it was a swerving corner that flew in all directions inside the box, and Kieran Simpson managed to nod the ball into the net.

After that, with  the wind and rain becoming incessant, Greg Simpson's kick outs were turning the contest into a farce as everytime the ball was flying back and over the line for a corner.  The referee then rightly spoke to both camps before abandoning the game with 76 minutes gone.

KEITH - Simpson, Hutcheon, Smith, Rae, Robertson, Manson(Berton 65), Macaskill, Brownie, Keith (Begg 65), Selfridge, Young.  Subs unused - Spink, Barron, Gray, Stewart.

Referee- Mr L Duncan.

Saturday 15th December 2018, KO 3pm
Report by Charlie Simpson

Julie Brown