Fraserburgh 3 v Keith 1


Keith fans were perhaps approaching this trip to Bellslea Park with a smattering of trepidation. After all, high flying 'Broch - the league's top scorers with over a ton of league goals - had blasted 16 goals without reply in their previous two outings.  

However, the batting Maroons kept the head despite losing two quick fire goals just after half time, and gave the 'Broch food for thought in this league tussle which was being replayed after the original fixture in December was abandoned after 76 minutes due to the adverse weather conditions.

Dean Donaldson's men showed spirit in the first half to match their hosts, defending solidly. Greg Simpson pulled off the first of several fine saves in the 17th minute to deny Paul Campbell. Then, on the half hour mark he denied Scott Barbour with a fine block.

He thwarted Paul Young with 38 minutes on the clock, but with his team-mates failing to clear their lines properly, Campbell sent a looping header into the roof of the net for the opener.

A couple of minutes from the break, 'Broch custodian Edward Flinn prevented Cammy Keith from levelling, but within a minute was left powerless as Max Berton thumped James Brownie's cross into the roof of the net for his 3rd goal of the season.

'Broch came sizzling out of the blocks after the half-time cuppa, and despite Simpson's fine save from Young's free kick, his defence was slow to react and Barbour made no mistake from close range.

A landslide looked on the cards when another super diving save from Simpson went unrewarded, the unmarked Sean Butcher slotting home at the back post.  However, the Maroons didn't capitulate, regrouped and fought tooth and nail to try and get back into the game. The introduction of substitutes, amongst them Andy Smith, making his 100th appearance for the Club, brought fresh legs, but to no avail.

KEITH - Simpson, Young, Spink, Rae, McAllister, Robertson, Macaskill (Porteous 62), Brownie, Keith, Berton (Gray 59), Selfridge (Smith 75).  Subs unused - Hutcheon, Lennox, Stewart.

Referee - Mr M Northcroft

Saturday 16th March 2019, KO 3pm
Report by Charlie Simpson

Julie Brown