Keith 2 v Turriff United 1


Super subs Grant Thomson and Scott Gray were the toast of Kynoch Park last weekend, when their two goals-in-three minutes burst left visitors Turra gasping to seal a widely acknowledged deserved victory.  That made it three league wins out of five in the opening spell of the new season, and helped erase the harrowing experience of the eight goal drubbing receiving in Keith's last home outing.

A veritable onslaught in the second half eventually bore fruit and once the equaliser hit the back of the net, there was really only going to be one winner.  An overall first class team performance, but this was perhaps wee Craig Macaskill's finest game in a Maroon shirt.

The opening spell was all action with Cammy Keith seeing a shot blocked on the line, Greg Simpson diving to save a Keir Smith shot, and Fraser Hobday doing well to hold a Keith volley.  Cammy Keith ought to have done better in the 25th minute, but his weak shot was easily blocked.  Four minutes later the deadlock was broken when a Jamie McAllister hand ball earned Turra a spot kick.  Up stepped ex-Maroon hot shot Michael Ewen to send Simpson one way, and the ball the other.

Following the spot kick conversion Maroons manager Dean Donaldson was red carded and sent to the Stand following a discussion with the referee on the edge of the technical area.  Then, as half time approached Marc Young forced a fine diving save out of Hobday.

After the break, it was almost one way traffic as the Maroons took firm control, yet despite all their pressure they just couldn't unlock the visiting defence.  A Cammy Keith slide rule shot was cleared off the line by Ethan Smith, then Young skied over the bar from 12 yards.

Panic didn't set in though and the away rearguard was finally breached in the 73rd minute.  A 20 yard Macaskill rasper was fingered over the bar by Hobday, and from the resultant corner Grant Thomson rose at the back post to gleefully nod home his first goal for the Club.

That signalled a siege on the visitors' goal and Thomson a low shot touched round the post by the goalie before young Scott Gray headed over the bar. It was no surprise then that the Maroons got their noses in front when Gray rifled home from 12 yards, to turn the game completely on it's head.

Three minutes from the end a Macaskill free kick crashed back off the post and somehow Michael Selfridge, who had a sparkling afternoon, skied the loose ball over the bar from practically the goal-line.

KEITH - Simpson, Young, Selfridge, McAllister, Robertson, Spink, Macaskill, Brownie, Keith (Smith 80), Begg (Gray 26), Bolton (Thomson 59).  Subs unused - Yeats, Berton, Lennox, Simmers.

Referee - Mr P McAvinue.

Saturday 24th August 2019, KO 3pm
Report by Charlie Simpson

Julie Brown